BOZ SCAGGS REVISITS STANDARDS THIS FALL WITH 'SPEAK LOW' (DECCA), HIS FIRST NEW STUDIO ALBUM IN FIVE YEARS, THE FOLLOW UP TO HIS #1 JAZZ ALBUM 'BUT BEAUTIFUL'
"His sparse vocal style fits smoothly into an engaging jazz setting."
-Don Heckman, Los Angles Times
"Scaggs's husky tenor-baritone is perfect for conveying late-night loneliness, and he showcases it well."
-Steve Greenlee, The Boston Globe
This fall, Decca will release renowned musician Boz Scaggs' 'Speak Low,' the silken-voiced singer's newest collection of standards and first studio album in five years, available on vinyl September 30 and in all other forms October 28. Co-produced with GRAMMY award-winning producer/arranger Gil Goldstein, Scaggs interprets Ellington, Mercer, Rodgers & Hart, and other classic writers and composers. In addition to Goldstein on piano/keyboards, the line up includes Alex Acuña (drums), Bob Sheppard (woodwinds), and Scott Colley (bass).
Scaggs began his distinguished career as a teenager and over a dozen records later, when Scaggs released 'But Beautiful,' the critical and fan response was tremendous, and the album debuted at #1 on the Billboard Jazz charts. The Boston Globe hailed that Scaggs had "made one of the year's best albums of jazz vocals" (6/28/03), while Jazz Times noted that the release marked "an enticing new chapter in an already dynamic career" (September 2003).
Scaggs once told the LA Times (6/12/03), "I'm going to be around this music for awhile. I love its melodic and harmonic qualities, and it's going to impact what I sing and what I write. The door's been opened."
'SPEAK LOW' TRACK LIST:
1. INVITATION (Bronislaw Kaper)
2. SHE WAS TOO GOOD TO ME (Lorenz Hart and Richard Rodgers)
3. I WISH I KNEW (Mark Gordon and Harry Warren)
4. SPEAK LOW (Ogden Nash and Kurt Weill)
5. DO NOTHING TILL YOU HEAR FROM ME (Edward Kennedy Ellington and Keith Sidney Russell)
6. I'LL REMEMBER APRIL (Gene De Paul, Patricia Johnson and Don Raye)
7. SAVE YOUR LOVE FOR ME (Buddy Woodrow Johnson)
8. BALLAD OF THE SAD YOUNG MEN (Frances Landesman and Thomas J. Wolf, Jr.)
9. SKYLARK (Hoagy Carmichael and John H. Mercer)
10. SENZA FINE (Campos Cesarea, Gine Paoli, and Alec Wilder)
11. DINDI (Aloysio De Oliveira, Ray Gilbert, and Antonio Carlos Jobim)
12. THIS TIME THE DREAM'S ON ME (Harold Arlen and John H. Mercer)
# # # #